117 Barber Avenue, Coatesville, Pennsylvania 19320


Get Directions

Weekly Service Times:

Wednesday: 6:00 PM
Sunday: 10:15 AM and 9:15 AM

This church is offering live streams or sermon videos. To view them, please click on the Sermons tab below.

Get To Know Us

HISTORY OF THE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF PASSTOWN What mean ye by these stones? Joshua 4:6 The historical pathway starts in the humble community of Rock Run in Coatesville, Pennsylvania. The church was organized June 1, 1907. The original organizers and members were Ida Curry, Sallie Haines, Eva Kidd, Harrison Kidd, Annie Thomas, Edward Thomas, Nanna Robb, and its first Pastor, Rev. Philip Robb. Sunday church meetings were held in the homes of the original members. The church was moved to the Coatesville community of Passtown (also known as Hayti) in 1914, meeting in the home of Sister Sallie Haines. The church later was moved to a little frame building about 15 x 15 belonging to Mr. Henry Curry. Our first revival was held in March 1915. The membership increased from 7 to 14 members. A new church building was started on July 11, 1915. Sister Sallie Haines could often be seen picking up stones and placing them in a wheelbarrow for use in construction of the church foundation. She also worked alongside the men in the actual construction of the foundation. The cornerstone of the First Baptist Church of Passtown was laid by the Grand Master John P. Scott, under the authorization of the Lily of the Valley Lodge No. 59 F.A.M. of Coatesville, PA. The sermon was preached by Rev. J.C. King of West Chester, PA. Rev. Robb officiated as host pastor. The wheelbarrow used by Sister Sallie Haines was placed on the front yard of the church for many years as a testament to the hard work and dedication of the members in building the church. The first Deacons were ordained on April 23, 1922. They were: John H. Barber, William M. Romans, and James J. Washington. Witnesses were Rev. A. Alexander and Rev. Edward Brewer. On October 22, 1922, a council was called to officially recognize the church. Rev. John Coleman was moderator, with the following Baptist churches in attendance: Tabernacle, Coatesville, PA; The Star of Hope, Tacony, Philadelphia, PA; Friendship, Coatesville, PA; Ebenezer, Lancaster, PA; St. Paul, West Chester, PA; and The First Baptist, Stottsville, PA. The church accepted the Bible for its guide and the Baptist Hiscox Directory. Rev. Alexander preached the recognition sermon and Rev. D. E. Howard gave Charge to the church. In the closing years of Rev. Robb’s pastorate, his health began to fail, and on August 1, 1926, Rev. Robb resigned. The first Trustees were elected on January 22, 1927. They were: John Barber, Edward Thomas, and James Washington. Under the leadership of Deacon Wesley Oaks, a Pulpit Committee of John Barber, Edward Thomas, Edward Young, James Washington, Hattie Barber, Phoebe Roberson, and Carrie Romans led the church in obtaining the service of Rev. John A. Fells as interim pastor on April 14, 1927. On June 23, 1927, Rev. Alexander Joseph of Philadelphia became the pastor. The church showed marked improvement under Rev, Joseph’s administration which lasted eight years. Auxiliary development was a highlight of his leadership. He served until 1935. The Rev. M. L. Beverly, of Chester, PA, succeeded Rev. Joseph in July 1936 and served for three years. A junior church was established, and exterior maintenance projects were accomplished. The Deacons were in charge from 1939 until 1941. Rev. Harry L. Strothers of Philadelphia was called as pastor on January 11, 1941, and served from 1941 until 1944, adding several auxiliaries and making exterior improvements. Rev. John Fells was called again, but this time as presiding pastor, in July 1945. At the beginning of his administration, the church prospered and showed progress with increased membership, the organization of a junior choir, initiation of Harvest Home, and the creation of the Building Committee, Banking Committee, and building Fund. He tendered his resignation in 1949. The Deacons were again in charge, and they formed a Pulpit Committee composed of Deacons. As a result, Rev. David Minus, Jr. of Newark, Delaware was called in February 1950. Rev. Minus was elected almost unanimously. He found the church in poor condition. It had been through one disaster after another. However, under the leadership of Rev. Minus, things that the church had been trying to do for thirty-five years, it was able to do in two years. The accomplishments included a water and heating system, a new pulpit set, a Communion table, pews, lights, and a new piano. In addition, a basement was dug under the structure by John Barton, John Barber, and Mingo McCoy. The new basement housed a new modern kitchen and a social hall area. The total cost for all these improvements was approximately ten thousand dollars. After all this was completed, in 1954, during a raging thunderstorm, lightning struck the church, setting it on fire and burning it to the ground. The church was completely destroyed. All that was left was a small piece of a page that was found in the ashes, on which was written, “He Lives”. After the fire, church services were held at the Passtown School (currently the Valley Township Municipal Building) for more than a year. During this time, plans were formulated for our present edifice. A Rebuild Committee led by Rev. Minus, included Deacon John Barber, Brothers Herbert Brown, Douglas Lambert, Sr., John Fornace, James Curry, Sr., and Sister Alberta White. The church purchased land on Barber Avenue and broke ground in November 1955. On February 6, 1956, the cornerstone, a gift of the W. Latta White Company of Honey Brook, PA, was laid under the auspices of the Lily of the Valley Masonic Lodge No. 59. That small piece of a page with the words, “He Lives” was placed in the cornerstone of the new church. On November 13, 1956, Rev. Minus and the members marched from the old church building on Church Street to the unfinished new church for its first service. In 1961 the church was practically completed. As the members worked, they paid the debts. There was no mortgage. Many members helped in building the new church, using their skills in carpentry, heating and plumbing, painting, and so on. Leading by example, Rev. Minus also worked on rebuilding the church, often using his lunchtime to work on the church. It was not just the men who worked to rebuild the church. The ladies of the church worked tirelessly as well. It was an excited and motivated congregation who set about rebuilding the church. Dedication celebration programs and ceremonies were held throughout the entire month of October 1961 – from Sunday, October 1 through Sunday, October 29, 1961. There were eighteen dedicatory services or events throughout the month of October. In addition to rebuilding the church edifice, Rev. Minus’ accomplishments included establishing the Children’s Choir, the Gospel Chorus, a young people’s choir called the Sparks of Joy, and the Junior Ushers. The membership increased from sixty to two hundred fifty. Among the new members were seventeen young people who accepted Christ one particular Sunday. All or most of those young people continue to serve Christ today, and several are ministers locally and in other parts of the country. On July 29, 1966, Rev. David Minus resigned. Deacon James Conway led the Pulpit Committee in the selection of Rev. Charles Cunningham from Philadelphia as the new pastor. Rev. Cunningham was installed on October 8, 1967 and served until 1970. He established a Sick Committee, Evangelistic Committee, Bible Class and Dramatic Club. On September 26, 1971, Rev. Michael Harris became pastor of the First Baptist Church of Passtown. He was selected by a search committee chaired by Brother Walter Johnson and included Deacons James Conway and Herbert Brown, Sisters Margaret Barber and Louise Rivera, and Brother Walter Washington. Rev. Harris increased membership attendance and financial gifts, reactivated auxiliaries, and initiated several new auxiliaries. Under his leadership, land was purchased for a parsonage. The parsonage was built and the pastor and his family moved into it in June of 1973. The parsonage’s 20-year mortgage was initiated in September of 1973 and was retired in October 1974. Rev. Harris made many physical improvements to the church, such as a new public-address system, cushions for the pews, carillon bells and chimes, a new roof, carpeting, re-painting and much more. It was during his leadership that Sister Louise Lambert Jackson (Smith), was elected as the first woman Trustee of the First Baptist Church of Passtown. Rev. Harris also established the Nursery, Nurses Guild, Hospitality Committee, and the distribution of Harvest Home food items to the disadvantaged. He initiated a church blood bank and Sunday School class at the Chester County Juvenile Detention Center. Many interior and exterior comfort and convenience items were added to the church. Rev. Harris also led the church in the acquisition of properties to be used for additional parking facilities. In March 1980, news of Rev. Harris’ resignation again forced the church to regroup. The church honored Rev. Michael Harris with a Fond Farewell Reception and Dinner on June 6, 1980. Deacon Norman Allen chaired the Pulpit Committee in its search for its next God-appointed shepherd to lead the flock at Passtown Baptist Church. Rev. John D. Mobley, Sr. became the next pastor of Passtown Baptist Church on October 4, 1981. Rev. Mobley, originally from Selma, Alabama, had served as the pastor of the Mt. Hopewell Baptist Church of Donaldson, Tennessee, prior to his move to Coatesville. During Rev. Mobley’s leadership there was an increase in membership, as well as the establishment or revitalization of auxiliaries, outreach programs, building funds and committees, and youth development programs. Church-owned vehicles were purchased, including a 47-passenger coach bus and three vans. Church fellowship opportunities increased, including the Forever Young Fellowship, Men’s Fellowship, Women’s, Men’s, and Youth Retreats, church-sponsored vacation travel, the community picnic, and a variety of other church and outreach activities. Rev. Mobley installed the first woman President of the Trustee Board, Sister Barbara Carter Bottoms. He also established the Imperial Choir and the Men’s Fellowship Choir. Among Rev. Mobley’s many accomplishments were installation of two additional parking lots, the remodeling of the kitchen, many interior and exterior improvements, and the acquisition of surrounding property for future church expansion. Rev. Mobley instituted the Community Picnic, and he was known as the “Community Preacher” for his commitment to the Hayti and Coatesville community. Rev. Mobley retired after having served as pastor of The First Baptist Church of Passtown for twenty-five years. He preached his Farewell Sermon on Sunday, October 29, 2006, at which service several people gave their lives to Christ. The Deacons were again in charge from October 2006 until April 2009. A Search Committee was selected, first led by Rev. James N. Allen, and later chaired by Brother Alvester Andrews. Members included Deacon Joseph Lewis, Brother James Smith, and Sisters Beverly L. Barnes and Barbara Carter Bottoms At a meeting held on April 25, 2009, Dr. David A. Heard was properly elected Pastor of this church. Prior to being elected, Dr. Heard was affiliated with the Shiloh Baptist Church of Baltimore, Maryland, under the leadership of Dr. Harold A. Carter, Sr. and Dr. Harold A. Carter, Jr. On September 13, 2009, Dr. Heard was installed as the Pastor of The First Baptist Church of Passtown. During Dr. Heard’s pastorate thus far, over two hundred souls have come forward and accepted Christ. Property and land have been purchased, and interior and exterior improvements have been made. Three new Deacons were ordained: Alvester Andrews, Charles (Ricky) Campbell, and James Smith. Dr. Heard initiated Riding with the Pastor, which is a group of members who ride with the Pastor to visit the sick and shut-in; and Abrahams Arms, which is a ministry designed to encourage new members. Revisions to the Constitution and By-Laws were completed and approved. Dr. Heard encourages the congregation to follow Jesus and to do the work of the Lord. Dr. Heard is married to Sister Monica Rice Heard, and their children are Gabrielle and David, Jr. In October 2018 Dr. Heard Resigned as Pastor of First Baptist Church of Passtown placing the Deacon’s in charge while we search for a new Pastor. God placed The First Baptist Church of Passtown here to fulfill a purpose. Let us grow and reach out in love, so that all will be saved.

Are you a member of First Baptist Church of Passtown?
Stay in the loop by following your church on Church.org

I'm a Member

Our Location

117 Barber Avenue, Coatesville, Pennsylvania 19320
Get Directions
https://bit.ly/2UUzbAa

Our Leaders

Rev. Steven Crutchfield

Associate Pastor

Rev. Crutchfield is an Associate Pastor

Rev. S. Lee Teel

Associate Pastor

Rev. Teel is an Associate Pastor

Deacon Joseph Lewis

Head Deacon

Joseph Lewis is Head of the Deacon Board

Sermons

The Love of the World can cost you Eternal Life.

May 25, 2021, 3:56 pm

Watch Sermon

First Things First, Put GOD first in your Life.

Dec 04, 2020, 2:59 pm

Watch Sermon

Earning and Believing

Nov 24, 2020, 7:35 pm

Watch Sermon

Sanctuary [Main Campus]

117 Barber Avenue, Coatesville, Pennsylvania 19320

Weekly Event

SUN

Virtual Church Service

117 Barber Avenue, Coatesville, Pennsylvania 19320

10:15 AM - 12:30 PM

Please join us for Virtual Church Service on Sundays at 10:15AM Via Google Meets Link: https://meet.google.com/nxa-uimb-gzt or by phone: 601-751-2237‬ PIN: ‪125 418 224‬# This week Rev. Steven...

Weekly Event

SUN

Virtual Adult Sunday School

117 Barber Avenue, Coatesville, Pennsylvania 19320

9:15 AM - 10:00 AM

Please join us for Adult Sunday School on Sundays at 9:15AM, Via google meets: https://meet.google.com/xvn-hbzx-utf or by phone: 662-747-1047‬ PIN: ‪792 353 385‬# Teacher: Deacon Alvester "Butch...

Weekly Event

WED

Virtual Bible Study

117 Barber Avenue, Coatesville, Pennsylvania 19320

6:00 PM - 7:00 PM

Please join us for Virtual Bible Study on Wednesdays at 6:00PM, Via google meets: https://meet.google.com/xfi-kvmg-pgw. Or by phone:478-331-6395‬ PIN: ‪173 813 178‬# Rev. S. Lee Teel is teaching...

Similar Churches Nearby